Explore the myriad of possibilities with encaustic, an ancient and versatile medium that uses beeswax, tree resin and pigment. You’ll be delighted with the smells, warmth and luminosity of the wax when used in art. Anyone can work with encaustic, whether you’re an artist, a crafter, an eternal student, a collage artist or simply enjoy being creative.
This workshop is held at my studio, Pig and Panda studio, in SE Portland (near 82nd & Powell). Workshops + Classes are semi-private, up to four students. My intent in offering this course is to provide a supportive experience of self discovery where you can fully explore and engage in self expression while diving into the wonderful world of art.
What you can expect to learn in this 5 hour workshop:
- Studio set up + safety
- Tools and materials
- Exploring different heat sources, effects + fusing
- Prepping a wood panel and other substrates
- Working with wax medium, layering + colors
- Carving, scraping + inlaid colors
- Texture, collage + sculpture
- Technique, composition and concept
- History of encaustic + other artists
Saturday, July 10th | 10 am to 3 pm
$125 – all materials + supplies provided
You take 2-3 pieces of your original artwork home