When I was little, my first doll was a DAM troll doll. He’s the one in the middle. His name is Trollee. He’s 43 years old now. EEK! By the time I reached middle school, Trollee’s family grew to include Trolls, Trollette and Trollina. Sadly, Trollina was cast into a vacuous attic full of fluffy insulation by a neighborhood toddler and was never seen again. Before Trollina’s untimely demise, however, my dad and I built a wooden troll doll house from scratch and we won first place in the 1976 Utah State Fair. Which brings me to my Scary Pumpkin Scarecrow…
I drew this fellow because I’m feeling the Halloween spirit (it’s my favorite holiday). When my family saw him they were a little creeped out. They said his eyes were…troublesome. I was trying to figure out where the eyes came from and then I remembered my troll dolls. Look at the eyes! They’re the same. Many times, I’ll discover after a drawing or painting is done that I was unconsciously influenced by someone or something. Voilà! it magically materializes in my work.
Get My Newsletter
- Good morning Sunday! On a mission to light some candles today. How about you? “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha…#qotd #sharehappiness #buddha #sundaythoughts #candlelights #stconanskirk #scotlandlove #travelscotland #sharekindness #lightalight #lochawe #scotlandlochs #scottishhighlands
- “Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.”- Henry David Thoreau…#qotd #thoreau #pathway #dogwalk #studiolife #inspirationquotes #mthood #powellbutte #pnwonderful #portlandparks
- Studio doggo. …#studiolife #oregonarts #justafarmgirl #painterspainting #chow #schipperke #doggosofinstagram
- Today’s color is…I think I shot a live story from the inside of my pocket. 😬…#powellbutte #mthood #powellbuttenaturepark #dogwalk #studiolife #morningview #colorforever #pnwonderful
- A little Stanley Kunitz to get Saturday morning jump started. Today feels officially wintery with the cold wind and a whole lotta sunshine. I like to open a book and see what presents itself for the day. I was pleased that The Mulch (The Wild Braid) was so fitting. Fallow times are just as important as growing times. I keep getting reminders and reassurances about this as I try to remain patient with my own art and what’s next. Patience has never been my forte. There’s a meme about Mondays that says: “Do sharks complain about Monday? NO. they’re up early. Biting stuff, chasing shit, being scary – reminding everyone why they’re a fucking shark.” While I try not to run around biting stuff and being scary I do like to get shit done. This waiting to uncover what’s next in my work is tough. Part of the artistic path, I suppose. …#saturdaymornings #stanleykunitz #poetryweekend #thoughtfulthoughts #studiolife #patienceisabitch #sharklife #thewildbraid #mulch #artistsprocess